Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Avocado Quesadillas

From biggirlssmallkitchen.com















It's no surprise to anyone who knows me even remotely that I don't cook. I think it's a combination of my fear of being injured (from cutting or burning myself) and the fact that I love to multi-task, so I can't just cook... I also have to be cleaning, paying bills and doing laundry at the same time, so something is bound to go wrong. I am the person who will put on a pot of water to boil to make Kraft dinner and then get sidetracked until the water has boiled away!

But, I've been trying to learn how to make a few meals so I at least have a few back-ups if I’m forced to make dinner (rather than go to my stockpile of frozen meals). Here is one recipe I tried recently that I’ve fallen in love with: avocado quesadillas.

Not only are these super easy to make (hey, if I can do it...), but they only require a few ingredients most people have on hand and they are super tasty! Plus, you can easily make it for just one, two or more, depending on how many mouths you have to feed! Here’s the recipe, plus notes on what I changed.

Avocado Quesadillas
Makes 1

Ingredients:
1/2 avocado
1 teaspoon lemon or lime juice (I didn't measure - I just squeezed half a lemon and it came out very well, although I love lemon!)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon butter (I used Pam spray)
1 tortilla
1/4 cup grated white cheddar (we didn’t have white cheddar, so I used marble. I think you can pretty well substitute any ol’ cheese).

Directions:
Mash the avocado with the lemon or lime juice and salt. (Easy how-to for cutting an avocado).

Melt the butter in a small frying pan over medium heat (or spray with Pam). Lay the tortilla down and sprinkle the cheese across the surface. Cook until the cheese is melted and the bottom of the tortilla is golden. Spread the avocado mixture across one side of the tortilla. Remove from heat and fold the tortilla in half and press until the melted cheese glues the tortilla together. Cut into wedges and enjoy!

I found that my cheese would melt faster than the tortilla browned, so I kept mine cooking and some flipping action had to happen after the tortilla was folded. But this only warmed up the avocado and made it (I think) more tasty. You can add salsa on the side for dipping too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment