Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Girls weekend at the spa

One of my best friends lives in Calgary and I live in Winnipeg, so we don't get to see each other as often as we'd like. Her family is still here, so she visits once or twice a year, but when she does come in, her time is divided up between all her family and friends. So, this year we've decided to go on a girls weekend to the spa. The world-famous Temple Gardens Mineral Spa in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan is about halfway between Calgary and Winnipeg, so it's the perfect venue. But even though this trip is fairly close to home, it will not be cheap.

Here's a rough estimate of the costs:

Spa treatments: $500
Hotel room for two nights: $210
Gas: $50 - $75 (I'm planning on driving out most of the way with my mom and dropping her off with family in SK, so she can visit and I'll continue on to Moose Jaw - this will help save costs and I won't have to drive alone.)
Food: $150 ($50 a day)

TOTAL: $935

Not a small amount by any means! I don't think it's fair to take money out of our vacation fund to pay for this since Husband won't be coming, so I've been trying to put together a plan to pay for this trip strictly with extra money. Here's how I'll pay for it:

Allowance money: $100  (I've been putting aside a bit of money each month from my allowance.)
Selling items: $200  (So far I've sold some of my old TV shows/movies on DVD and an old watch that an ex-boyfriend gave to me.)
Overtime: $400  (We shot our new TV commercial this past weekend and I've asked to be paid out for the overtime instead of time off. It's unusual for me to request the money, but right now we could use the money and I have a ton of vacation days available.)
Freelance: $200  (I'll be getting about $1,000 from freelance in April or May, so I'll use a bit of this towards the trip.)

What do you think? Have I over/underestimated some costs? 

No comments:

Post a Comment